Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gluten Free Caramelized Apple Cake



So I know that I prefer to review restaurants, but this cake really turned out great! I used a recipe that I found in the back of a magazine and just swapped out the flour for a GF blend. I used Meister's flour and also made this with Better Batter flour. (If you use Meister's, be sure to follow their instructions for modifying your baking powder) I'd avoid Bob's Red Mill on this, because I doubt that the cake flavors will mask the bean taste. Because this bakes in a skillet, I was able to transport it easily right in the pan.

Caramelized Apple Cake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups GF flour blend containing xantham gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch slices


1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat 1/2 cup of the butter in a large bowl for 1 minute or until creamy. Add granulated sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until blended. Reduce speed to low. Gradually blend in flour mixture, then sour cream.
4. Melt remaining 5 tablespoons butter in an ovenproof 10-inch nonstick skillet. Add brown sugar; stir 2 minutes.
5. Add apple slices to the pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Spread apples in a single layer. Let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Spoon batter over apples and spread to edge of skillet. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on rack for 20 minutes. Run knife around edge. Carefully invert onto a plate. If serving this later, leave it in the skillet, heat it briefly on the stovetop before inverting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message letting me know you were here. If you have a great suggestion for GF dining let me know that, also.