Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gluten Free Vacation to Key Lime Cove Resort in Gurnee

We recently had the pleasure of spending a 3 day weekend at Key Lime Cove Resort in Gurnee, right across the street from Great America. It's very easy to spot from I-294 near the Grand Avenue exit.

We had heard from 2 different friends that the resort can accomodate gluten free dining. Back to my big pet peeve, this valuable information is not indicated anywhere on the website! I called and spoke to Chef Jeff who was very helpful and reassuring. I also spoke to him while dining. Chef Jeff shared that the resort is trying to improve the gluten free dining experience before advertising and announcing it on the website. Chef said they are hopeful to even have a gluten free party option, whereby all the diners could have a great gf dining experience. Sounds fantastic!

The gluten free food can be found at the D.W. Anderson's Eatery on the lower level. Here is the menu. For lunch and dinner, there are pizza crusts and buns from the French Meadow Bakery in Minnesota. Even french fries are available! The restaurant will fry them up in a clean pot of oil. Some of the salads are available and the manager was able to tell me which dressings are gluten free.

Breakfast was not an option for us. There is a buffet breakfast only. The restaurant will bring out fresh eggs, hash browns, and breakfast meats to avoid cross-contamination. I'm sure that is a fantastic offer for some. For us, my son does not eat these things. I asked Chef Jeff about gluten free pancakes and for now it is too difficult for the kitchen to prep them. We were staying in a suite with a refrigerator and dining table, so I brought fresh fruit and muffins and we were all very happy with our in-room breakfast.

A final note is that our food took longer than normal to prepare due to the extra steps needed, so plan accordingly!

Key Lime Cove offers a really fun waterpark with a lot of slides AND the safe gluten free dining options that my family needs. It was a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. It Very nice Blog. It was a very good Blog. I like it. Thanks for sharing knowledge. Ask you to share good Blog again.
    http://www.felicitysglutenfreehandbook.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message letting me know you were here. If you have a great suggestion for GF dining let me know that, also.