Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gluten free Hamentaschen


Purim is coming! My kids and I wanted to make hamentaschen to enjoy this wonderful celebration. These 3 sided, jelly filled cookies are a great way to celebrate such a fun holiday. And these were so easy. I followed the same recipe I had from last year, before we were gluten free, and all I changed was to swap out the flour for Better Batter mix instead! (http://www.betterbatter.org/) It was literally a cup-for-cup swap! I suspect that another flour mix would also work although I would avoid a bean flour mix as I doubt there is enough other flavor here to mask the bean-y taste.

These cookies turned out very tender and they held together well.

Gluten Free Hamentaschen

2 cups Better Batter flour
2 sticks margarine (room temperature)
4 TBS sugar
8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
filling of choice- traditionally jelly, but consider a chocolate chip/brown sugar mix

Mix together first four ingredients by hand, knead until dough consistency. Divide into 24 balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Pat each ball flat, place 1 TBS of filling into center and pinch up into a 3 sided cookie. Don't make your 3 points too pointy to avoid burning. Seal your seams very well to keep the filling inside of the cookie during baking. I sprinkled a little sugar over the top of the jelly filled treats. Bake on a parchment lined sheet at 350 for about 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message letting me know you were here. If you have a great suggestion for GF dining let me know that, also.